Bernie’s Food Market

Color slide

December 31, 1952

Bernie’s Food Market

c. 1953

Reproduction of original color slide

Located at 104 Tremont Street Southwest, Bernie’s Food Market catered to the needs of the neighborhood, which was predominantly Black. Owner Bernie Green recalled in a 2013 interview that he allowed families to run a grocery tab if times were hard, especially if workers were laid off from Republic Steel during the slow times.

Pictured are Mrs. Green and unidentified children.

Gift of the Green Family Collection (2022)

Collection of the Massillon Museum

Bernie’s Food Market